Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng (pictured) appealed to the federal government yesterday to approve the state’s application to construct a third bridge linking Persiaran Gurney on the island to Bagan Ajam on the mainland.
“I plead once again to the Works Minister (Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof) to grant the application as it (the bridge) will be funded by the Penang state government. We will write a letter,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby, here yesterday.
He said after the approval was granted by the federal government, the state government would submit the plan and further information concerning the proposed construction of the bridge.
“Without the approval, it is difficult to spend tens of millions just to do the feasibility study or detailed drawings,” he said.
On Sunday, Fadillah said the Penang government was asked to submit all relevant documents on the construction of the third bridge because the government would evaluate the application based on merit, long-term cost and benefits to the people just like any other application for the proposal of a building project.
On another matter, when asked on the visit by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to his residence in Jalan Pinhorn, Penang on Sunday, Guan Eng said the matter had been referred to his lawyer and made no further comment.
Asked whether it was a raid or a visit, he said: “Nothing was taken and the rest I leave it to my lawyers.”
The MACC officers had gone to Guan Eng’s residence to take statements on the purchase of his bungalow, which was said to be bought at below the market price. - The Edge Property