The construction of three highways worth RM2.8bil, to be built by Consortium Zenith BUCG Sdn Bhd (CZBUCG), is expected to start in the first quarter of 2016.
Consortium Zenith chairman Datuk Zarul Ahmad Mohd Zulkifli said the three highways were scheduled for completion in 2020 or 2021.
“The feasibility study for the highways has been done and submitted, while the preliminary environmental impact assessment (PEIA) for the highways will be submitted in September 2015.
“The detailed environmental impact assessment (DEIA) for the RM3.5bil undersea tunnel will be ready for submission next year,” Zarul said.
The three highways are part of a RM6.3bil mega project comprising the three highways and a 6.5km undersea tunnel connecting Tanjung Tokong and Bagan Ajam.
The projects are the Tanjung Bungah and Teluk Bahang road, Air Itam and Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway, and a bypass joining Gurney Drive and Tun Dr Lim Chng Eu expressway.
He spoke at a press conference after signing an MoU agreement with Ewein Zenith Sdn Bhd to develop the Wellness City of Dreams project, located on a 50-acre site in Bandar Tanjong Pinang.
Ewen Bhd managing director Datuk SK Ewe signed on behalf for Ewein Zenith.
Zarul also said local contractors should register with the Consortium Zenith website to tender for jobs to be generated by the highways and under-sea tunnel.
The projects are part of a land swap deal given to Consortium Zenith by the state government to construct the undersea tunnel, and the three major roads.
Ewein Zenith was appointed by the Domestic Trade, Co-Operatives and Consumerism Ministry as a Champion for Entry Point Project 10 under the Economic Transformation Programme to develop a RM800mil wellness resort estimated to be fully operational before December 2020.
The wellness resort will encompass a wellness mall, wellness business and specialist centres, wellness resort and hotel, which also provides treatment services such as anti-aging, aesthetics, and comprehensive regenerative treatments.
Zarul said growth in the medical tourism sector looked very positive given the state’s top ranking position in the International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index, with access to low-cost airfares and affordable rates. “We must ensure high quality medical care with superb resources and the best experience,” he said.
According to the Malaysia Healthcare Travel Council (MHTC), Malaysia attracted 800,000 medical tourists last year netting close to RM800mil revenue.
Ewein Zenith is a 60% subsidiary of Ewein Land Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ewein Bhd. The remaining 40% of Ewein Zenith is owned by Consortium Zenith. - By The Star