Houseowners should conduct checks on their house wiring system yearly to prevent incidents such as short-circuit that could result in fire or electrocution.
“House owners should hire a registered contractor to check and inspect house wiring system once a year for safety purposes.
“Many house owners are not doing that and it will be too late when accidents happen,” said Penang Electrical Merchants’ Association (Pema) president Cheah See Yeong.
An electrical short-circuit could start a fire, he told the press during a seminar organised by Pema at The Northam All Suite Hotel recently.
Cheah said an electrical malfunction could lead to disaster.
“Some victims have been electrocuted by household electrical items such as hair dryer and water heater.
“There are many electrical items in the market and some do not meet the required safety specifications,” he explained.
“I would like to urge the consumers to purchase only items approved by SIRIM,” he said.
The one-day seminar covered topics on Earth Lightning Protection, Electronics Surge Protection and High Security System as well as Application and Technology for High Voltage Gas Insulated Switchgear.
Those who wish to enquire about electrical and wiring systems can call Pema at 04-229 0195. - By The Star